Living expenses are estimated to be about 550 Euros per month distributed as follows:
- Accommodation 120-200€
- Food 60-150€
- Transportation/Commuting 40€
- Entertainment 200€
The following list includes the prices of some basic goods that determines the cost of living (speculatively):
|Item||Price in Euro|
|Bus ticket||Around 1 euro|
|Bottle of water (0,5lt)||0,40-0,50 €|
|Bottle of water (1,5lt)||0,60-1,00€ (for a pack of six at a super market 1.50 -2.00€)|
|Milk (1 lt)||1,00-1,50 €|
|Coffee (at a cafeteria)||3,00-4,50 €|
|Beer (at a bar)||3,00-6,00 €|
|Cinema ticket||5-7,50 €|
|Concert ticket||20,00€ (varies)|
PLACES TO VISIT
There are several websites where you can find information on the places you can visit. To mention some:
- ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES
In Greece the banks are open from 8 am to 2.30 pm. With credit cards such as Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, etc it is possible to withdraw money from cash machines (ATMs) which are located outside banks and in many parts of the cities. There are also ATMs at the TEI campus and nearby locations as well.
- Public Offices: Monday – Friday 7:30 – 15:00
- Post Offices: Monday-Friday 7:30 – 14:00
- Banks: Monday – Thursday 8:00 – 14:30 and Friday 8:00 – 13:30
- Shops are open on Monday and Wednesday: 9:00 – 15:00, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 9:00 – 14:00 and 17:30 – 21:00, Saturday: 9:00 – 15:00. In touristic areas during the summer months shops have free working hours.
- Although pharmacies have free working hours they are usually open from 08:00 to 14:00 on Monday and Wednesday. On Tuesday,Thursday and Friday they are also open in the afternoon from 17:30 to 21:00. There are also emergency pharmacies which are open 24 hours and at weekends. You can find the lists of them on the doors of all pharmacies.
CURRENCY – EXCHANGE
In Crete, like in the rest of Greece, the euro is used. Coins of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents and of 1 and 2 euros circulate. The notes circulate in values of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 euros. Before your trip, contact your bank to inform them about the use of your credit card and the withdrawal of money.
For more information visit the website of the Hellenic Tourism Organization:
INTERNATIONAL CALL CODE – CALLS FROM AND TO CRETE
The international call code for Greece is +30. If you wish to make a call from abroad, you should call +30, followed by the telephone number. If you wish to call another country from Crete, dial 00 and then the code of the country and the telephone number. You may also make calls from telephone boxes which operate with call cards.
RADIO TAXI RETHYMNON
+30 28310 24316
UNION OF RADIO TAXI – O VRISINAS
30 28310 25000
RADIO TAXI ARKADI
+30 28310 22316
National Emergency Center: 166
Emergency Hospitals, Pharmacies, Doctors: 14944
Fire Brigade: 199
Emergency Intervention of the Port Authority: 108
Εuropean Emergency Number: 112
The European Emergency Number was created to serve the citizens on a 24 hour basis in case they need help, no matter in which country of the European Union they need it. The call is answered immediately by a specialized professional, with whom you can communicate in one of the basic European languages. The call from a fixed phone, a mobile phone, a telephone box or a public telephone appliance is without charge. The European Emergency Number also operates in Greece and serves the visitors of our country. The number operates within the range of any mobile telephony network, even if your own network does not function in a specific area, provided there is coverage by another network.
For more information visit the website of the General Secretariat of Civil Protection: www.gscp.gr